On Aug 28, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Fred B. Ellison wrote:

>       • The PASS ID Act would gut the REAL ID Act and return us to the
> pre-9/11 standard of identity validation, which allows state DMVs to
> rubber-stamp the identity documents of driver’s license applicants
> without verification of their authenticity. Validation without
> verification was the process that enabled 9/11 hijackers to secure
> driver’s licenses using fake documents. Will you heed the lessons of
> 9/11 and oppose the PASS ID Act.

The 9/11 hijackers had quite real and legal paperwork. They came here
on VALID visas. REAL ID would not help keep them off planes as
foreigners visiting this country do not need a driver's license to get
on a plane (they have to go home somehow!). REAL ID would allow
criminals ONE-STOP SHOPPING to steal our identity information from its
centralized 'biometric database' that tens of thousands of government
employees will have access to. The data from the REAL ID database
would be for sale on the open market within months of implementation
and criminals will access the database to create fake data or falsify
information that is there, just like the fake ids and Social Security
information which criminals manipulate now. REAL ID is a dangerous
solution to a problem we do not have.

The so-called PASS Act does not go far enough in gutting REAL ID. The
Federal government has NO ROLE or authority in regulating drivers'
licenses.

For the most part, state governments know EXACTLY who the illegal
aliens are. The problem is that they are overwhelmed by aliens and do
not know what to do. When illegal aliens, even those who have
committed violent crimes, are turned over to Immigration, they are
often not deported and even if they are, they can come right back over
the open border. The fact that states cannot get rid of the illegal
aliens has lead to attempts to make sure that they are at least
licensing and insuring their vehicles. THAT is why drivers' license
checks are so poor. Mandating 'tougher standards' will not solve the
problem because people are deliberately not following the rules WE
ALREADY HAVE.

We have to get rid of the incentive for employers to bring in the
illegals, we need to get rid of the welfare state which attracts them,
and we need to have the Federal government ACTUALLY DEPORT people who
should not be here and who the states routinely hand over to them (and
make sure it is harder for them to just walk back across the border).
None of this requires any changes to drivers' licenses, a big taxpayer
hand-out to companies handling 'biometric data', or the pillaging of
our personal privacy rights.

We worked hard to pass a bill in MIssouri disallowing participation in
REAL ID. We will oppose the same measures if they appear under the
guise of the PASS Act. Until the Federal government actually does
something with illegal aliens arrested and put in their custody, no
amount of documentation or fancy IDs will help the problem.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."