(splitting from 'hate Javascript' thread)

Been wondering of a way to develop drivers offline, i.e. without physical
access to a hardware controller.

Right now only people who have physical access to the controller can write a
driver, so 'owner' == 'coder', which is a huge limitation.

Let's say those two roles can be reassigned to two different people: owner
doesn't need to know coding, coder only needs to be talented. Advantages would
be support for more devices, better drivers, porting drivers to a new
architecture is a one-off, can be unit-tested against previous arch.

Process would be a ping-pong like:

- owner runs wizard app with UI to generate raw "control" data (a binary
stream), sends file to coder
- coder uses control data to write driver, sends driver to owner
- owner tests driver, gives feedback
- repeat

This "Driver Data Generator" app, first asks owner to select a frontal image of
the device, then walks through a series of dialogs for each device widget:

- locate widget on bitmap with mouse click or rect select
- type? (knob, fader, wheel, button, toggle, XY cursor)
- subtype? (clamped, infinite, discrete)
- name? (channel1 upfader, booth volume, deckAwheel)
- calibrate
- fiddle randomly during 10 seconds

I looked at a bunch of hardware I have at home (DJM800, CDJ100, misc MIDI
controllers), what would be the most exotic devices Mixxx already supports
that'd complicate this procedure?

Scratch is a special case that probably shouldn't go through any script anyway.

-- p