Hello Daniel.

So, If i understand you correctly, you connected the line output of your
soundcard to a power amplifier. I.e. A plain and simple amplifier without
any volume control on it.

In such scenario, you need to adjust the volume level on your soundcard.
The Xone-K2, as I see, does not have a volume knob on it, but I am quite
sure that you can control the volume either from the generic Windows Mixer,
or maybe the Xone drivers include a control panel where you have access to
a volume level.

The volume controls on Mixxx are really intended just as gain adjustement,
in situations where you need small gain changes (more in line of correcting
the target gain, and to prevent digital clipping), and not as a way to
control the output volume, or at least no more than several dBs.
Else, you get the results that you describe, a negative effect over the
digital signal.

Nowadays, mixing software use different mechanisms to normalize audio. In
case of Mixxx, it uses ReplayGain.
This means that gain controls are not as much important as they used to be,
and basically the DJ only needs to make small adjustments over the channel
gains and rarely on the master gain to compensate for the different volume
levels of the tracks being played.

I briefly looked into the Mixxx manual, and I couldn't find a place where
it specifically talks about not overusing the master Gain control. I was
sure there was a place that said that, but maybe I simply didn't look into
the correct chapter.

There were some talks about incorporating a soundcard volume knob into
Mixxx window, but the problem was that each operating system does it
differently, and even different versions could implement it differently, so
it seemed like opening a can of worms for something that could be better
served by teaching users to use the system mixer.

So, overall, I don't think your problem could be considered a bug, but an
incorrect usage of the options.

If you have any suggestion on how to make this more obvious to other users,
or do you see any problem on doing what I've just described, just tell us.

> Hi,
>
> this weekend I djed on a friends birthday Party. Due broken Hardware I had
> to hookup directly to a amplifier without any line control after my
> hardware (Xone-K2) and the amplifier was unregulated.
> I had to pull down the mater gain a lot so it was no too loud.
>
> Now the problem with this is, that it makes mixxx unusable. You basically
> loose the possibility to use headphone for listening to master channel or
> anything in between because the levels become very different.
>
> On the evening I thought mixxx is broken in this aspect, I'm not so sure
> now but at least then it's missing a second level meter. Anyway, recordings
> done when the master know is used to limit the loudness need massive
> afterwork to get to a decent loudness.
>
> We either need a second master knob that sits just before the signal is
> sent to the line out and after it is recorded and shown after the master UV
> meter, or the master gain knob should only regulate the volume after the
> master UV meter and recording and you should adjust the gain on the
> channels instead on master.
>
> Does somebody use the master know for anything else then reducing the
> volume ? In which case I think it would be more useful.
>

> kind regards
>  Daniel

o o | Josep Mª [JAZ]                 |
 º  | Messenger: jaze...@hotmail.com |