Thanks Selva, Good to hear...but...

I finished the encode with said parms and proceeded to mplex the streams
together.  I let them go until they reached about 40 megs then stopped
them to see how the sync was.  It sucked, but I used trial and error,
and finally -O 2700 seemed to line the audio up real nice with the
actor's lips...so I let it mplex the whole movie...

I had it split into 2 parts, telling it 800 for the split point.

I checked part two to see if the audio was in sync, and it was off by a
lot!  Definitely many seconds, perhaps more - so far off, I couldn't
tell at first glance!

I then viewed the first chunk and the further into the movie I got, the
worse the sync was...

Is this just a case of NTSC material being problematic and not 100%
reliable, or is there some way I can fix this??  Commands used:

video:
cat *vob |mpeg2dec -s -o YUV | yuvscaler  -M BICUBIC -n n -O SVCD | \
mpeg2enc -a 2 -f 4 -F 1 -p -S 800 -B 192 -I 0 -4 1 -2 1 -o output.m2v

audio:
mkfifo /tmp/v.vob
cat *vob > /tmp/v.vob &
mplayer -ao pcm -aofile audio.48.wav -vo null -vc null -hardframedrop \
/tmp/v.vob
sox audio.48.wav -r 44100 audio.wav resample
toolame -b 192 -p 2 audio.wav audio.mp2

mplex:
mplex -f 4 -V -O -2700 -o file_%d.mpg output.m2v audio.mp2

Thanks,

Davros