But if there is a Windows version, it would be nice (well, it must) be
        possible to get hold of the code that generated the Windows binaries,
        right.

Since I have a Win2k box at home (for the wife), I decided to try to
use it to offload some of my processing.  I installed the cygwin
environment and did the standard configure + make.  Most of the tools
compiled, with the notable exception of mpeg2enc (anyone ever get this
to work?).  I think the problem might have been in some embedded
assembly.  But mostly with cygwin no modifications need to be made to
the code.  Someone out there may have, but not that I found.

The load-sharing experiment was a failure, BTW.  My 100 Mb/s network
just barely transports enough data to send yuv4mpeg streams to the
win2k box and back at any decent framerate, and the win2k box spent
half its cycles processing the input/output data.  I would need to
either get smil2yuv/y4mscaler (no luck here either) or mpeg2enc to
compile so the raw data only has to cross the network once.

Dan