On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:53:20AM -0700, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Scott Bigham wrote:

> > The combing effect is visible with playdv, most clearly on changes of

>       Ummmm, I thought the problem was 'juddering' which would indicate
>       a field order problem of some type. [...]

Again, I may be using the wrong terminology, but it's clear in the
output that the wrong fields are being put together in the same frame.
And for reference, I'm displaying it via TV-out on a TV, so it shouldn't
be a progressive-display problem.  Besides, that still wouldn't explain
what I'm observing in Kino:  three "right" frames followed by two
"wrong" frames, repeating consistently (well, except for camera-angle
changes, which always seem to be wrong-fields-together no matter where
they land in the cycle).  I've put up a couple sample frames extracted
from Kino:

  <http://www.killerbunnies.org/~dsb/temp/sample1_00002859.png>
  <http://www.killerbunnies.org/~dsb/temp/sample2_00003584.png>

>       You might try deinterlacing on playback to see if that makes
>       a difference.   I know MPlayer+ffmpeg offer a number of
>       deinterlacing filters that can be tried.

Xine's 'onefield' filter looks fine, but the name suggests that it's
just papering over the problem by throwing one of the fields away.  My
ultimate goal is to convert this to SVCD format, which means I need to
actually fix the problem.

                                                -sbigham