Hi Steven,

<aside>
Lying around useless with the 'flu today but I have spent the time learning
more about PIC code  and shared libs   Basically, I think if all the relevant
libs are compiled for shared library usage we should be in business.  I've
modified the nasm sources so all the assmbler routines are PIC.   The trick
will be to hack a a little shell wrapper for 'nasm' so that it looks more
like gcc to the libtool ;-)

I also had a glance at the SIMD / vector intrinsics supported by gcc-3.x.
Definately a cut above the old hand-hacked inline assembler stuff (as a quick
look at James' AltiVec code will confirm).  Once I;
</aside>

>       Hmmm, without the -I 0 I only get about 15 Frame/sec on my Athlon
>       2800.  Does -I 0 make that big of a difference?

-I 0  really does make that big a difference.  If you know you don't have
interlaced material then you should always use it.   One of the many many
things for the list is a quick and dirty interlace-detector that activates
this if the frame looks to have significant decorrelation between adjacent
lines.

        Andrew
PS
Ronald: I don't think a gstreamer wrapper for libmpeg2encpp will be too hard.
However, I worry about the fact that I need to link all the C++ library
routines.  Are there any existing C++ based plugin's?