Hi -

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, John Ribera wrote:

> Did I just hear elimination of B frames:

        Not exactly ;)

        They are optional now though so you can choose if you want/need
        them or not.

> 1) lowers bitrate, ie file size

        In some cases - mostly with noisy sources.   Good clean (D8, DV)
        input will not benefit as much (might even grow a few percent).

> 2) improves output

        It's supposed to improve output in the high motion scenes, true.

> 3) faster encoding (ok so i'm reaching)

        Not at all.   B frames are much more cpu intensive than I or P
        frames to compute - not generating B frames brings a fairly
        substantial boost in encoding speed.

> so, basically, unless you're editing, B frames are a 3 strike out, IMO.

        Two strikes - the B frames have a place and perhaps just using 1
        of them ("-R 1") would be a Good Thing in some cases.

        There's no hard rules for "always use feature XXX" or "never use
        feature YYYY".   Encoding is very sensitive to the source of the
        data as well as the other parameters being used - it could well
        be that using the high resolution quantizing matrices with the
        "-E -10" option will work better using 1 B frame than leaving out
        the B frames completely.

        Encoding the data multiple times to try out various combinations is
        a time consuming but necessary job in some cases.   Obviously for
        casual viewing (and discarding of the movie after viewing) it's not
        important to select the "best" parameters.   When making DVDs for
        archival or viewing by a wider audience then it can be worth the
        time to do several trial encodings and select the best looking one.