On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

>  >mpeg2dec -s -o pgmpipe input.mpg | pgmtoy4m -i t -a 15:11 | \
>  >   y4mscaler -S option=sinc:8 -O sar=20:11 -O size=352x480 | \
>  >   mpegenc -f 8 -E -8 -K tmpgenc -4 2 -2 1 -o output.m2v
>
> Yes, and the new "-O preset=CVD" will take care of all of that, i.e.:
>
>     y4mscaler -S option=sinc:8 -O preset=CVD

        Ah yes - that entered my mind just as I was hitting the send
        command.   Very useful preset.

> ps:  mpeg2dec doesn't dump directly to a YUV4MPEG2 stream?

        Alas, no it does not ;(

        It's why I came up with the pgmtoy4m program.   The YUV4MPEG output
        from mpeg2enc was a local hack (I think Andrew did it eons ago to
        an old version of mpeg2dec).

>      That is unfortunate --- the chroma subsampling in pgmtoy4m is a simple
>      linear kernel, and who knows what kind of chroma supersampling is used

        Huh?  All that pgmtoy4m  does is unpack the data from "mpeg2dec -o
        pgmpipe" and slap a YUV4MPEG2 header on it (and FRAME markers).  No
        conversion done at all.

        What comes out of mpeg2enc is 4:2:0 (at the moment, 422 is on the
        TODO list) but oddly packed (not planar).  The data's read, unpacked
        and output as 420p with header/frame added.