>       ffmpeg has AC3 encoding capability.   At one time though (I have not
>       tried it recently) it did not produce DVD compatible files (the
>       channelassignment/rematrixing-coefficients were not correct).   You

There were some changes made to ffmpeg about 6 months ago, maybe a little longer, that
corrected ac3 problems.  It was certainly the case that it didn't work properly when I
first started trying to master DVDs.  My DVD player could decode it, but my digital
receiver couldn't understand it.  Another DVD player I tried wouldn't play it at all.
I think the changes did get put away to ffmpeg - I'd grabbed a patch someone had
posted on one of their dev lists that resolved the problem at the time prior to
whoever it was putting the change away.

-- Ray