Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> I said this before - you guys should make releases way more often. Very
>
>       Of what?  Broken software?   No sense doing a release for the last
>       year or whatever since it was broken.  And now it _may_ be fixed
>       and it's time for testing, not a release.

Well, yeah, but code doesn't change all by itself - there are people
making the decisions, etc. Basically, it looks like mjpegtools has a too
long development cycle. All the good stuff is always in CVS, and it
stays there for years.

>> BTW, if I'm using 1.8.0 (default on Ubuntu), what do I get if I upgrade
>> to 1.9.0 RC1?
>
>       The last known working encoder perhaps.  I think it was after RC1
>       that things broke  rather badly.  Number of the filters were enhanced
>       and I think the deinterlacing and denoising software was heavily
>       revised.

I actually got RC2 and so far so good, I can generate DVD-compatible
MPEG2 with it.

Oh, look, there's High Definition support. :-) Pretty cool.
Once there are enough HD burners on the market, and there's a way to
author HD disks on Linux, I'm sold. Capturing HDV is already doable with
dvgrab, and it looks like mjpegtools can process an HD stream.
Oh wait, there's editing. Hm, I've heard that Cinelerra can do that, and
perhaps Kdenlive too.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/