Hi Andrei,

> Is it possible that the hi-res matrix does not provide the best image
> quality?
It is very possible!  The 'hi-res' matrix does not roll of higher coefficients
for inter-coded frames at all.  As such it only sane if you have LOTS of
bits.  If you have less bits a matrix that trades a bit of (theoretical)
texture detail for (practical) reduction in quantisation will be better.

> This is the custom matrix (suggested by Steven Schultz a while ago):

Note that these tables are actually available in the encoder.  I tend to use
them myself all the time. Select matrix 'tmpgenc'.   Should perhaps be made
default...

cheers,

        Andrew

--