WD40 evaporates quickly but for temporary protection it would suit although I'd
use P'Blaster as it leaves a film that does not go away and actually
lubricates.  That's why it does such a nice job in protecting electrical
connections.

Rustoleum Hammered would be my choice for the final paint, especially since you
already have it primered.  That stuff is a take-off of an old British product
called Hammerite that was sold here in the U.S. until VOC regulations got it
banned.  It is, however, back and Sherwin-Williams stores now carry it.

As far as replacement hardware goes, I've always used new Stainless nuts,
bolts, washers, etc. along with LocTite Blue (Medium strength) so that
disassembling them at some point in the future will be relatively easy.  Using
LocTite RED usually requires a blowtorch and an Act of God to get them
loosened!!  Most local hardware stores that carry Hillman or Midwest Fasteners
products should be a good source.  After I retired I spent 10 years working for
a local True Value and their selection was all Midwest Fasteners and rarely was
I forced to go elsewhere.  Their "Nuts & Bolts" area consisted of two 40 foot
aisles lined on both sides with everything imaginable.

Good luck.......Jack