You can easily test the charger. Just use a volt meter, and while the
charger is plugged in, and connected to a battery, you should see at least
13.8 volts or so. If you're not reading above 13volts, it's probably not
working.
The Optima charger is a nice piece, but only if you're running AGM type
batteries. It will work on standard lead acid batteries, but you're
spending a lot of money for the AGM charging ability if you don't need it.

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKBnGeBHfxwb50gDOk_9BWh1gMfTd0xpsNcn0J%3D7tG7y23Q%40mail.gmail.com.