I seriously doubt your spongy pedal is due to a problem with the
proportioning valve. If you haven't replaced all the flex hoses recently, I
would replace them with stainless braided hoses. They have become much more
cost effective in recent years, and the increase in pedal feel is
remarkable. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you have to start
looking at the master cylinder and calipers.

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKBnYrzBc6znL11U7iU3Xc18oYLSR7haBoyXRFBXCJegbdg%40mail.gmail.com.