Hey 16vers,

Yesterday I spent some time on my 16V's never ending journey to revival.  With
the help of a new local friend (who has four 16V Scirrocos) we reinstalled the
restored main fuel pump and McGuyvered transfer pump.  Two nights ago I removed
the spark plugs and poured a cap full of new engine oil down the plug holes so
the engine would not restart dry when we finally tried to start it.
Unfortunately yesterday when finally reinstalling the spark plugs,  the rubber
boot for the spark plug removal socket stayed on the plug and after 30 minutes
of trying to remove it - we were defeated.

So close yet so far,  we were at the final two steps before trying to start the
engine:  reinstall spark plugs and add fresh gasoline...

Clearly the Craftman 5/8" (Part #43324)  spark plug removal tool is not of high
quality.  I have snap-on 11/16" spark plug removal tool (S9727K) which seems of
higher quality.   I will be ordering a snapon 5/8" spark plug tool and throwing
my two other 5/8" plug sockets in the trash.

So now my question - any ideas on how to get the rubber piece out?   The spark
plug tool won't grab the plug to screw it out and won't hold onto the rubber to
pull it out.

I am thinking glue might work but I am also afraid of getting the socket stuck
down there - any tricks to get the socket to stick to the extension?   Does
anyone have an extension welded onto the socket to avoid the socket getting
stuck down there?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Pictures of incident:  https://goo.gl/photos/AqU6SiPWRHewd3Np9

Thanks,