On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Felix Hartmann
<extremecar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well I think routing over areas sucks, and I would not support it. There
> should be clear distinction between ares and highways as lines for
> routing.

This is true in general, but only an exception for pedestrian squares.
The wiki clearly states that pedestrian highways can also be tagged as
areas:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pedestrian

As such, there are now a very large number of pedestrian squares
tagged in this way. If they are not made routable, this can really
hinder foot (and potentially bicycle) navigation in large cities.

Cheers.