LinkedIn it.linkedin.com/in/matteomarchesi/
Phone   +39 349 0535802

*Feed:* It's F.O.S.S.
*Posted on:* Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:11 AM
*Author:* Munif Tanjim
*Subject:* Googler: Now You Can Google From Linux Terminal!

[image: Review of Googler: A command line tool to use Google from Linux
Command Line]
<https://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/google-from-linux-terminal.jpg>

A quick question: What do you do every day? Of course, a lot of things. But
I can tell one thing, you search on Google almost every day (if not every
day). Am I right?

Now, if you are a Linux <https://itsfoss.com/tag/linux/> user (which I’m
guessing you are) here’s another question: wouldn’t it be nice if you can
Google without even leaving the terminal? Without even firing up a Browser
window?

If you are a *nix <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like> enthusiast and
also one of those people who just love the view of the terminal, I know
your answer is – Yes. And I think, the rest of you will also like the nifty
little tool I’m going to introduce today. It’s called *Googler*!
Googler: Google in your Linux terminal

Googler is a straightforward command-line utility for Google-ing right from
your terminal window. Googler mainly supports three types of Google
Searches:

   - *Google Search*: Simple Google searching, equivalent to searching
on Google
   homepage <https://www.google.com>.
   - *Google News Search*: Google searching for News, equivalent to
   searching on Google News <https://news.google.com/>.
   - *Google Site Search*: Google searching for results from a specific
   site.

Googler shows the search results with the title, URL and page excerpt. The
search results can be opened directly in the browser with only a couple of
keystrokes.

[image: Googler Interface]Googler Interface
Installation on Ubuntu

Let’s go through the installation process first.

At first make sure you have *python* version 3.3 or later using this
command:

python3 --version

If not, upgrade it. Googler requires python 3.3+ for running.

Though Googler is yet not available through package repository on Ubuntu,
we can easily install it from the GitHub repository. All we have to do is
run the following commands:

cd /tmp

git clone https://github.com/jarun/googler.git

cd googler

sudo make install

cd auto-completion/bash/

sudo cp googler-completion.bash /etc/bash_completion.d/

And that’s it. Googler is installed along with command
autocompletion feature.
Features & Basic Usage

If we go through all its features, Googler is actually quite powerful a
tool. Some of the main features are:

   - *Interactive Interface*: Run the following command in terminal:

googler

The interactive interface will be opened. The developer of Googler, Arun
Prakash Jana <https://github.com/jarun> calls it the *omniprompt*. You can
enter ? for available commands on omniprompt.

[image: Googler OmniPrompt Help]Googler OmniPrompt Help

>From the omniprompt, enter any search phrases to initiate the search. You
can then enter n or p to navigate next or previous page of search results.

To open any search result in a browser window, just enter the index number
of that result. Or you can open the search page itself by entering o .

   - *News Search*: If you want to search News, start googler with the
N optional
   argument:

·         googler -N

The subsequent omniprompt will fetch results from Google News.

   - *Site Search*: If you want to search pages from a specific site, run
   googler with w {domain} argument:

googler -w itsfoss.com

The subsequent omniprompt with fetch results only from It’s FOSS blog!

   - *Manual Page*: Run the following command for Googler manual page
   equipped with various examples:

man googler

   - Google country/domain specific search:

googler -c in "hello world"

The above example command will open search results from Google’s Indian
domain <https://www.google.co.in> (in for India).

   - Filter search results by duration and language preference.
   - Google search keywords support, such as: *site:example.com
   <http://example.com>* or *filetype:pdf* etc.
   - HTTPS proxy support.
   - Shell commands autocomplete.
   - Disable automatic spelling correction.

There are much more. You can twist Googler to suit your needs.

Googler can also be integrated with a text-based browser ( like – elinks
<http://elinks.or.cz/>, links <http://links.twibright.com/>, lynx
<http://lynx.browser.org/>, w3m etc.), so that you wouldn’t even need to
leave the terminal for browsing web pages. The instructions can be found on
the GitHub project page of Googler <https://github.com/jarun/googler#faq>.

If you want a graphical demonstration of Googler’s various features, feel
free to check the terminal recording attached to the GitHub project
page : jarun/googler
v2.7 quick demo <https://asciinema.org/a/85019>.
Thoughts on Googler?

Though Googler might not feel necessary or desired to everybody, for
someone who doesn’t want to open the browser just for searching on google
or simply want to spend as much as time possible on the terminal window, it
is a great tool indeed. What do you think?

View article... <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ItsFoss/~3/lvH3RpniNow/>