On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 11:03:35AM +0000, Tan Zhiren wrote:

> Hello!
>

> I am Zhiren, a University of the third grade students, majoring in
> computer science and technology, I found a surprising item in the
> browse the mlpack project, because it was I remain perplexed despite
> much thought of the problem, yes, it is String Processing Utilities.
>

> Not long ago, I was doing a project with machine learning, a mobile
> node path is the input data, and other data is not the same, it is a
> string of characters, the composition of the place obviously, place
> order is very important information, so how to make the computer can
> accept this the data and understand it? The direct input of a string
> of characters is obviously an evasion of the problem. I checked some
> information did not find a solution, then I thought of a solution: the
> training data set I is a matrix, then I put the path string into a
> single location, such as schools, hospitals, supermarkets, which turns
> out to be a data item, I put it into the three so, since each data
> item is a clear meaning, which at the time can be said to be a
> helpless way, because of direct calculation is very complex character.
> So you can't imagine how excited I was when I saw this project,
> because I saw mlpack formally put forward this problem, and I had the
> chance to solve it, and I freed the later people from this trouble.
>

> I am very confident to complete this project, I can skillfully use
> C++, and use it to complete several relatively large projects, the
> other I think the problem description to convert characters into
> digital computing is indeed a good idea, but I think that there is
> room for improvement, for example, we can get rid of the character of
> no great importance (is, are), and how to use simple numbers (0, 1) to
> express more information? Can this conversion be returned accurately?
>

> At present, I have been familiar with some basic tutorials of mlpack,
> and have compiled some simple projects. If I want to apply for this
> project, what should I do next?

Hi Zhiren,

Thanks for getting in touch.  The projects you discussed sound
interesting and could be relevant to this project.  These pages should
be useful to you:

http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html
http://www.mlpack.org/gsoc.html

You can also search the mailing list archives for other discussions
about the string processing utilities project.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Rock-and-rollers don't bathe."
r...@ratml.org |   - Sneed