On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Brian Matherly <pez4br...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> JB,
>

>> Creating xml files from the avformat producer is currently broken with
>> FFmpeg's recent git. The problem comes from avformat's
>> "handler_name"
>> metadata, whose value contains invalid characters.
>>
>> The problem only appears when creating xml files, not when outputting to
>> stdout.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> melt test.mov -consumer xml
>
> You might have to provide your "test.mov" file. I tried to recreate the
> problem with some of my media files, but none of them have the "handler_name"
> metadata. And if I could find one with "handler_name", I don't know that it
> would necessarily have an invalid character. I don't know if Dan has a file
> lying around that recreates the problem. I guess you could wait for him to
> check before you upload something.
>
> I'm guessing that the best solution might be to fix the xml producer to
> handle the xml with the invalid character. In that case, we might be able to
> make some progress if you provide your "broken" XML file.

I have some files that reproduce the problem. I have a flagged email
to followup on a bug report related to xml char encoding. Currently,
the xml consumer assumes the string data you provide it is already
UTF-8 encoded, but some people are providing, for example, KOI8 file
names in Russian locales. I can get the environment's locale info to
determine that. Now, I need to figure out what the character encoding
rules or API are for libav and its version history.

--
+-DRD-+