On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Juan Martin Runge <jmru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan,
> Thanks for your response.  I read both articles and understood why this
> isnt a good idea! :(
>
> The thing with wanting to use two different computers is that one will
> have two Decklink cards (one for input, one for output) and will be
> processing some filters for the output.  Im afraid that I will run out of
> processor if I try to encode a

Ah, I see.

> stream on this same machine.  On the other hand, I have another computer,
> set up for transcoding with two beautiful processors.  But I cant put a
> Decklink card on it (its 1u rack) nor a shuttle (lacks of usb3).  So I was
> wondering how could I send the input from Decklink card to this transcoding
> server... Discarding UDP, do you think is any other way of doing this
> (FIFO, UDS, SHM??).  Im on linux but am not a linux master.  In the past,
> one of my colleagues did a Producer that used SHM for passing the Frame
> object through to n Consumer.  But this worked on the same computer, I dont
> know how to do something like this for work on different computers (if
> possible).

Shared memory and fifos/named-pipes only works on one computer.

The only option I see is to reduce processing/filters/encoding/resolution
to do it on one box, or replace the 1U box with one that can take a
(possibly low profile) Decklink card.
Or, write a smpte 2022 (de)packetizer for libavformat's RTP.

--
+-DRD-+