If I understand correctly, I did as you asked.

     $ gdb
     (gdb) file kdenlive
     (gdb) b mlt_pool.c:142
     (gdb) r

     Thread 28 "RenderThread" hit Breakpoint 1, pool_fetch (self=0x809c8920)
     at mlt_pool.c:142

     (gdb) print self->size
     $1 = 33554432

I expect you're in a better position to know

     a.) if I did it right and

     b.) whether 33554432 looks OK.

If you happen to have the time, and are so
inclined, I'd be interested in any further
thoughts you may have.

The steps you took look OK. But the value is not good. Even a 4K video frame using 10bits would not need that much memory. If I were you, I would work backwards and try to figure out why self->size is getting set to such a large number.