Le 2017-01-12 à 08:12, Leslie S Satenstein a écrit :
The January invitation was titled UBUNTU users. The MLUG was not supposed to be a "Ubuntu only" group.

Do you actually mean you don't expect to see an invitation for a SUSE group — or any other LUG — to go through this list?

This is a general “LUG(s) in Montréal” mailing list and this kind of emails are perfectly acceptables.

Yes, it is impolite, but then when the invitation is titled "Ubuntu users" I guess that excludes others.

Yes it probably does, because this is probably the expected audience for the meeting.

The subject was clear so you were well informed and free to just ignore the message if you are not interested in this topic.

It still perfectly belongs to the “Montréal LUG” topic.

I like to evalutate distributions. I have currently installed Chapeau Linux, Korora Linux, RFRemix (Russian Linux), SUSE, and Arch. I did have Ubuntu and Debian. but I only have 5 disks, and I like to keep my distributions away from each other.

I'm just curious about the “5 disks”. Assuming 20 GB is enough to test a single distro — and it usually is, unless you install a LOT of non distro specific packages — a single 500 GB disk allow to test 25 distros. Assuming you would optimize things with the use of virtualization, because testing hardware support doesn't require a full installation (live testing is enough for that), you could test even more distros on one single disk, not mentioning opening a whole new world of networking experimentations. Testing on 5 disks would mean they probably are old and slow disks and it would not be the best way to evaluate modern distros.

Regards, J.C.

--
Jean Christophe ANDRÉ  @  Agence universitaire de la Francophonie
✉ : 3034, boul. Édouard-Montpetit, Montréal (QC)  H3T 1J7, CANADA