Hoi.

[2016-09-18 13:21] Philipp Takacs <phil...@bureaucracy.de>
> [2016-09-09 19:45] Philipp Takacs <phil...@bureaucracy.de>
> > It wouldn't be that complicate. We would to replace the
> >
> > > printf("%s\n", m_name(msgnum));
> >
> > with a call to scan() and add the ``-format'' switch.
> >
> > In other words pick supports only the format '=%(msg)' at
> > the moment. If we have a format switch in pick we could replace
> > scan by a symlink to pick.

Philipp convinced me with the pick and scan merge. We should go
for it.

> I have implemented this to have a code example we can discouse
> not only an idea. The patch is attached.

Thanks for the patch to get a better picture of the change! Before
you commit it, there's some cleanup to do, e.g.:

> +void printmsg(FILE *f, struct msgs *mp, int msgnum, char *fmtstr, int width);

Prototypes without argument names.

> +     if (strcmp(invo_name,"scan")==0) {

Space after comma missing.

Should we prepare it in a branch? (As there are several parts
to change: pick, scan, format files, manpages, ...)

Am I right, that the combination:
        scan `pick -sub foo`
can be replaced by this single call to pick/scan:
        pick -form scan.meillo -sub foo
Or maybe even by:
        scan -sub foo

Do we then still need the -list switch? It could be replaced
by `pick -form scan.msgnum'.

Anyway, ... I do start to like the pick/scan merge. :-)

meillo