Thank you Peter.
The method you provided failed with the following error:

$ sudo pip3 install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1a0
Looking in indexes: https://test.pypi.org/simple/
Collecting mnemosyne==2.10.1a0
 Using cached
https://test-files.pythonhosted.org/packages/fb/4d/d17f2eaead745b10676d4b5795ff3ac8948b685a4b5d61440213ab95af65/mnemosyne-2.10.1a0.tar.gz

(898 kB)
 Installing build dependencies ... done
 Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
 Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... error
 error: subprocess-exited-with-error

 × Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
 │ exit code: 1
 ╰─> [14 lines of output]
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File
"/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py",

line 353, in <module>
         main()
       File
"/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py",

line 335, in main
         json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
       File
"/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py",

line 149, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
         return hook(metadata_directory, config_settings)
       File
"/tmp/pip-build-env-us2xkg24/overlay/lib/python3.10/site-packages/poetry/core/masonry/api.py",

line 40, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
         poetry = Factory().create_poetry(Path(".").resolve(),
with_groups=False)
       File
"/tmp/pip-build-env-us2xkg24/overlay/lib/python3.10/site-packages/poetry/core/factory.py",

line 46, in create_poetry
         local_config = PyProjectTOML(path=poetry_file).poetry_config
       File
"/tmp/pip-build-env-us2xkg24/overlay/lib/python3.10/site-packages/poetry/core/pyproject/toml.py",

line 74, in poetry_config
         assert isinstance(config, Table)
     AssertionError
     [end of output]

 note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem
with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
╰─> See above for output.

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for details.