Hello Michael,
in my opinion Discourse is a better option because:

1) it's more user friendly than a mailing list because it allows you to
subscribe only to a category, a single thread and so on;

2) you receive emails for the categories you are subscribed to and if you
reply to these emails you are also replying to the thread;

3) you can create polls;

4) you can add a sort of like to a post;

5) it has a powerful searching feature;

6) many Mozilla projects are already using it, so with a single access to
Discourse I can have an overview of all these projects, and this can
encourage volunteers to discover new contribution areas.

Speaking about async discussions, as a volunteer I would like to see much
more messages for keeping myself updated about what's happening in the
project. As an example, the old good Firefox OS mailing list was very
active during the project development and a lot of discussions between
employees and volunteers happened there, helping volunteers to get on board
on the project.

Cheers

Luigi