Hi Joel,

Hope you are doing well!

Kitkat[4.4] is the latest version of android and you have plenty of
options to choose a device of this platform. It would be a nice option
to go for Moto G or E as it's affordable and most of the list members
recommend it.

Also, please don't go for a phone than IOS or Android.
On 7/10/14, Joel Vergis <joelforchris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mahesh,
> Thanks for your suggestion, but I have some doubts. There are many
> versions of android. Which version is most user friendly and which is
> the latest version?
>
> Thank you
> Joel
>
> On 7/9/14, Mahesh S. Panicker <maheshspanic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey there Joel,
>> Nice to have you here on this platform.
>> To respond to your question, at the moment there are 2 practical
>> options before us. One is Apple's IOS, and the other is Google's
>> Android. IOS is quite accessible and it has an in built screen called
>> Voiceover. Most of the Apple apps are accessible. But Apple has their
>> own ways of getting things done, and there is not much customizability
>> available for the user. Besides, the price of the latest version of
>> the Apple iPhone is really huge.
>> That's where Android comes in. There is an in built screen reader
>> called TalkBack. There is far more customizability in Android. If you
>> do not like one way of getting a task done on Android, there mostly is
>> a possible option to get it done another way. However, in many
>> respects, Android accessibility is not as developed as that of Apple,
>> particularly on 3rd party apps where Google has been far more
>> lackluster in demanding accessibility features. But Android is very
>> much usable. I myself am using Android and there are many on this list
>> who are doing it. Besides, an Android phone with a decent
>> configuration is available from a price range starting from 7000.
>> Both interfaces are touch based, and it would take a bit of getting
>> used to, but it is very much possible.
>> Best,
>>
>> On 7/9/14, Joel Vergis <joelforchris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear friends,
>>> I am a visually challenged person with hearing impairment. I am
>>> hailing from Kerala. I was using Nokia E63 with talx speech support.
>>> But my mobile got damaged. I am planning to buy a new one. Since there
>>> are different operating systems and different type of screen readers I
>>> am confused about which one should I go for. So can any of you suggest
>>> me which operating system is best accessible and which screen reader
>>> supports it.
>>> Expecting a quick response.
>>>
>>> Yours faithfully
>>> Joel Vergis

>>> the

>> Mahesh S. Panicker
>> Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science,
>> Lady Shri Ram College, Lajpat Nagar
>> New Delhi 110024

Best,

Mujeeb
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
Sent from my iPad