On May 18, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Zachery Bir wrote:

> On May 17, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Of course not. There *is* no documentation for Prototype. (Or, at
>>> least, not on the Prototype site!)

>>> My opinion is that having the MochiKit trunk documentation on the
>>> website is a bug and not a feature. Providing people with the right
>>> docs for the version of software they're using is something I've
>>> fought with for TurboGears and progress is being made on a good
>>> solution that's usable by everyone who wants to contribute docs to
>>> the
>>> project.
>>>
>>> I might suggest putting up the tagged version of the docs and
>>> linking
>>> to the current released version. (The trunk version can be there
>>> somewhere as well...)
>>
>> I'm not going to have several versions of the docs on the site as
>> that does all sorts of bad things for search engines. For example, if
>> you search for PostgreSQL documentation you'll probably end up
>> finding something in the old versions of the docs and that annoys the
>> hell out of me.
>
> I think this is a very good reason.
>
>> I'll accept patches if someone wants to go through the docs and come
>> up with a clever and concise way to mark when a function was made
>> available, but I am not going to have more than one version of the
>> docs on the site. I like having the trunk version of docs and tests
>> available on the site because if I didn't nobody would look at them
>> until it's too late.
>
> I'll volunteer for this. I can even correlate older versions for the
> current docs. Do you want patches against everything or just reST?

Just reST is great, the HTML stuff is never edited by hand and is
only really included in svn for convenience (and the site). Function
and module existence should be pretty easy to pick out of the version
history. The only real important ones are the differences between 1.3
and 1.4 (trunk) I guess.

-bob