On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 09:33 -0600, John Chiasson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having little success with this modem under ubuntu 17.10 x64.  I
> did manage to get it to connect once while running both managers in
> foreground debug mode, but am unable to connect running as services.
> Debug logs are attached.  Are there any guides for running as
> services
> while in debug, and retrieving logs from journalctl?  Also, I've read
> the 4G - 3G handoff can drop connection.  Is there any guide for
> forcing a 3G connection?

That was around the 2011/2012 timeframe due to the integration of
Verizon's EVDO and LTE networks with eHRPD.  Also the 1.48 firmware
version that I think your device is running already supposedly had
fixes for handoff.

Anyway, I think you're running into a ModemManager bug that is fixed in
1.6.12 by this commit:

6c1c3405c68bc86c873f0bae6595c3917358f530
bearer-qmi: fix connect with libqmi lower than 1.18

The connect process in your logs just stops after setting the IP family
preference and does not continue to the actual connect step.

I would file an Ubuntu Launchpad bug against ModemManager to see if
they can either (a) backport this commit or (b) just update the MM
version to 1.6.12 or later.  Not really Ubuntu's fault as this was only
fixed about a month ago.

Dan