I managed to get qmicli working with /dev/smdcntl0 device via qmi-proxy --no-exit
(due to issue described here https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/issues/51)

I can ge wds service connected, but still can't bind port to rmnet_data0, some more debugging needed.

Also I found qcom-soc plugin in MM, seems some /dev/smdcnt0 as qmi port and /dev/sdm8 as at port
can be added there, but not clear how to add port binding.

Looking for any help.