I just managed to get internet connection with libqmi.
First I do qmicli -p -d /dev/smdcntl0 --client-no-release-cid --client-cid=17 --wds-bind-mux-data-port="mux-id=0,ep-iface-number=0,ep-type=bam-dmux"
than I can do --wds-start-network, check settings with --wds-get-current-settings and manually assing ip addresses to rmnet_data0 (and default gw via route).

I don't understand why I should setup mux-id=0 (ep-iface-number=0 I suppose is rmnet_data0).

I also tried to modify qcom-soc plugin a bit to support /dev/smd8 and /dev/smdcntl0.
As for /dev/smd8 is was easy (just added needed udev tags) and it was handled by quectel plugin.

For /dev/smdcntl0, I added it to
/* Virtual port corresponding to the embedded modem */
static const gchar *virtual_port[] = {"smd0", "smdcntl0", NULL};
in mm-plugin.c
as device is virtual and doesn't have any driver.

But still I don't understand at the moment how it is tested and as QMI port and it was not handled.

Any suggestions are welcome!