On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Todd Finney wrote:

> process for the duration of the transaction?  If each transaction lasts a
> couple of seconds, it this a Bad Thing?   Is there a more efficient way to
> handle this?

Unless you truly need to resize the image on the fly as part of the
transaction with the client I think this is probably a waste of a good mod
perl server.

Someone previously mentioned sticking the image file name in a db and
tagging it for resizing.  You could also put it in a resize_me directory
that gets scanned by a daemon or cron job.  You could have a daemon
running and talk to it via a socket  There's a lots of solutions.  To me
it seems silly to waste a fairly heavy mod_perl child (6-10 MB or memory
perhaps)  to resize an image in the background.  The whole point of mod
perl is to serve dynamic content, not to just be a generic processing
mechanism.

-Dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun