Sean> Because the one of the following core apache handlers checks $r->filename
Sean> before my Auth handler runs... I get 404ed.  What I can do is role all of
Sean> my functionality into a single Trans handler, but that's no good and not
Sean> something I'm interested in doing (bad programming, esp when you have LOTS
Sean> of developers working on the same project).  In a nut shell, how do I tell
Sean> Apache that I don't want it to touch down on disk?  Undef the filename or
Sean> set the file name to /dev/zero?

You should be able to return OK from your own pushed AccessHandler,
which should prevent the core modules from doing an .htaccess lookup
based on $r->filename.  Something like:

        $r->push_handlers( PerlAccessHandler => sub { return OK } );