BM> I'd like to be able to move the updated script and module into place and
BM> either do a -USR1 restart or just wait for the Apache processes to go
BM> through their normal life cycle.  As is, it seems as if I have to bring

Well, you can do it in an order that will let you keep working fine.

Since you are adding functions to your modules, just move them in
place first, send the USR1 signal to make all children exit.  Now,
move your script in place.  The children will notice the change and
any that had the old one will restart, but they already have your new
modules.