According to Greg Stark:

> I tried to use the minspareservers and maxspareservers and the other similar
> parameters to let apache tune this automatically and found it didn't work out
> well with mod_perl. What happened was that starting up perl processes was the
> single most cpu intensive thing apache could do, so as soon as it decided it
> needed a new process it slowed down the existing processes and put itself into
> a feedback loop. I prefer to force apache to start a fixed number of processes
> and just stick with that number.

I've never noticed that effect, but I thought that apache always
grew in increments of 'StartServers' so I've tried to keep that
small, equal to MinSpareSevers, and an even divisor of MaxSpareServers
just on general principles.  Maybe you are starting a large number
as you cross the minspareservers boundaries.

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]