On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, John Walker wrote:

> After fighting with RedHat SWS and never being sure if what went wrong
> was my scripts' fault or some wierdness in my
> Apache/mod_perl/RedHat-SSL, I'm going to follow the instructions in the
> guide to make my own. (Would have saved a lot of time if I just listened
> to Stas and others 2 weeks ago.) Needless to say, if I really understood
> what the heck I was doing with compiling C, I probably would have taken
> this step before. I'm calling on the good nature of the folks on the
> list to answer three more hidiously simple questions before proceding.
>
> 1) Am I correct in thinking that the current recommended versions of the
> source code for the instuctions under "mod_perl and mod_ssl (+openssl)"
> in the guide would be:
>
> Apache 1.3.9 (I know they've released 1.3.11 but haven't some people had
> problems visa vi mod_perl with this version?)
>
> mod_perl 1.21
> mod_ssl 2.4.10
> OpenSSL 0.9.4

One of them. I've compiled the latest apache/mod_ssl/mod_perl with no
problems, but didn't have a chance to test it yet. (on RH6.1)

> 2) I am fairly familiar with RedHat's directory layout for installation
> of Apache. Does " --with-layout=RedHat \" work for other ./configure
> scripts or only mod_perl?

I've never used this flag, you can skip it and all stuff will go into
/usr/local/apache unless you tell different.

> 3) A question for Redhatters... Do I need to (should I) remake my own
> perl too? I think RPM is going to whine hideously when I rpm -e perl.

No need to rebuild perl - it's fine (both RH6.0 and RH6.1).

> Are there optimizations I can perform to make a better/faster binary
> using the compiling tools in 6.1?

-DTWO_POT_OPTIMIZE and -DPACK_MALLOC Perl Options
http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html#_DTWO_POT_OPTIMIZE_and_DPACK_MA

but these are already enabled by default in your perl. You can always rise
the value of the -O2 optimizer, but see below.

You concerns are with your code not the binaries -- they are pretty
optimized. You can always squeeze a few more bits, but this is irrelevant
as mod_perl's "bottleneck" lies in your code.

However it's a good idea to follow the apache optimization notes from:
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf.html

> Thanks AGAIN for all the help and patience,

You welcome :)

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com