well, I'm not an HTML whiz, but I'm not sure about the consequences of
appending messages outside of the ending HTML tag...

at any rate, the examples in the eagle book for appending a header and
footer (ch 4) should get you started.  There's also Apache::Sandwich and
Apache::SimpleReplace that can assist you, should you not want to code it
yourself yet...

HTH

--Geoff