>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a pure perl implementation of a simple templating system which is
>> (what I consider to be) relatively lightweight - it copes well in both
>> cgi-bin and mod_perl environments, at least for me. I've looked at various
>> other modules, and do believe mine brings an alternative slant to the
>> proceedings 8)

[...]

Eric> This looks very similar to HTML::Template:

[...]

I think it's a rite of passage to look at all the templating systems,
and decide "I can do better, along axis $X", and write your own.  Then
you discover after a while that:

a) writing templating systems is no fun the moment you let someone
   else start using it, because they want feature $Y which you thought
   nobody would need

b) you understand why that other package was so fat

:-)

Maybe we should have a "Congratulations: you wrote a templating
system!"  web memorial. :)

One brief serious note: I think the fact that there are SO MANY is a
tribute to just how easy it is to process text in Perl.  I don't think
there are 47 templating system for Java. :)