"Jeremy Howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jim Winstead back on June 26 finished debugging a patch to libapreq (that's
> Apache::Request) that avoids the problem of the mod_perl process eating up
> all the memory required for an upload (and then some!) and not giving it
> back.
> http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/thahwhahyu/20000626150219.A9842@
> trainedmonkey.com
>
> Joe Schaefer then rewrote this to avoid some unnecessary malloc()s,
> http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/rorprilswe/m3ya3m513y.fsf@mumonk
> an.sunstarsys.com
> which David Mitchell then patched to make more portable.
> http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/rorprilswe/200007051203.NAA20171
> @tiree.fdgroup.co.uk
>
> Why this history lesson? ...

  That's not how things went.  AFAIK, Jim's group scrapped the old
multipart_buffer.c code and started fresh.  The patch I submitted
just modified the existing code in order to get the memory usage
under control.  David just pointed out that GNU's 'memmem' function,
which is used in my patch (but not in Jim's) is not available many OS's,
so he kindly submitted his own.

> Well, Joe and David's version, I've just
> discovered, fails to correctly deal with large POSTs that are not file
> uploads. In particular, I just wrote a lengthy (3 hours!) email in my
> webmail system, and when it got to the recipiant only the first and last
> bits were there :-(

  I'd be glad to look into it.  Could you send the html form that's causing
trouble, and the post data as well? Also, are you using David's memmem patch?

> I've replicated this behaviour with a number of large POSTs, and the problem
> always occurs (under Linux 2.2+latest stable mod_perl and Apache).
>
> The good news is that Jim's version doesn't have this problem. Are there any
> volunteers to fix Joe and David's more efficient version? (Sorry, I'm no C
> guru...)

  If Jim's version is working for you, great.  As for 'efficiency', I don't
know how the memory usage compares between Jim's patch and mine, but I can
say that I spent one weekend making the patch.  I think Jim's group put in
considerably more time.

--
Joe Schaefer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]