"Alexander Farber (EED)" wrote:

> Vladislav Safronov wrote:
> > I am going to work in a Web Company to write some mod_perl apps.
> > They gave me a contract (I think the terrible one) which
> > contains paragraph (among the others) that signs the rights to all
> > inventions over to them.
>
> The same paragraph (the inventions resulted from your contracting
> work belong to the company who hired you) is in my contract here
> in Germany and my lawyer told me it's a usual thing.
>
> > The problem is .. I have never sign such contracts and I don't know if it's
> > "common" contract template that programmers sign when start coding for
> > somebody.
>
> I'd go to a lawyer to check the contract.

It's a very common clause here in the UK. The only thing that you need
to watch out for is that the clause covers only those inventions made
'while in the course of your duties'. This allows you to do other work
in your spare time. Most employers want to hold title to the work
produced by their employees while they are paying them to do that work.

--
John Reid
Senior Analyst/Programmer