Billy Donahue wrote:

> > Now you are faced with a trade off.  Is it more expensive to
> > detach a subprocess, or use the child cleanup phase to do
> > some extra processing? I'd have to know more specifics to answer
> > that with any modicum of confidence.
>
> He might try a daemon coprocesses using some IPC to communicate with
> Apache, which is my favorite way to do it..

Yeah, I was thinking something along these lines. Don't know if I need
something as complex as IPC. I was thinking of perhaps a second Apache
server set up just to handle long-term processing. Then the first server
could send a request to the second with the commands it needs to execute
in a header. The second server processes those commands independantly of
the first server, which then returns data to the browser.

But maybe that's overkill. I'll have to weigh the heft of the
post-request processing I need to do.

Thanks for the suggestion!

David