David E. Wheeler writes:
 > Using the cleanup phase, as Geoffey Young suggests, might be a bit
 > nicer, but I'll have to look into how much time my processing will
 > likely take, hogging up an apache fork while it finishes.

I've wondered about this as well.  I really like the cleanup handler,
and thought that in general it would be better to tie up the httpd
process and let apache decide when a new process is needed rather than
always forking.

For the most part I use the cleanup handlers to handle something that
takes alot of time, but doesn't happen very often.  If I had something
that took alot of time every time someone hit a page I still don't
think I'd fork, instead I'd pass off the information to another
process and let that process run through the data asynchronously like
a spooler...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]