At 11:15 AM 11/17/00 +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Nigel Hamilton wrote:
> >       Going along ths lines of sharing mod_perl between users for ISPs
> > .... is there a median position that tempers security concerns/support
> > costs/hassles etc that a CPAN module could fill?
>
>I wouldn't do it like that.

Regardless of wanting to do it like that, I dont think you can do it like
that. Perl code can't truly segment other arbitrarily written Perl code yet.

The way to do it is as I said in my last post. You need Apache 2.0/mod_perl
2.0 so that you can explicitly designate perl interpeter pools to be
assigned to certain virtual hosts.

> >       I'm thinking of a module like APache::Registry but it segments the
> > namespace/memory netween virtual servers --- a sandbox that each virtual
> > host is kept in?
>
>man jail() on FreeBSD 4.

But then you lose the benefits of having shared apache processes among many
shared users many of whom may have very non-busy web sites. No?