At 10:10 AM 1/8/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd like to avoid the repeated queries in mod_perl, of course.  So,
> > in the sort term, I was thinking about caching search results (which is
> > just a sorted list of file names) using a simple file-system db -- that is,
> > (carefully) build file names out of the queries and writing them to some
> > directory tree .  Then I'd use cron to purge LRU files every so often.  I
> > think this approach will work fine and instead of a dbm or rdbms approach.
>
>Always start with CPAN.  Try Tie::FileLRUCache or File::Cache for
>starters. A dbm would be fine too, but more trouble to purge old entries
>from.

an RDBMS is not much more trouble to purge, if you have a
time-of-last-update field. And if you're ever going to access your cache
from multiple servers, you definitely don't want to deal with  locking
issues for DBM and filesystem based solutions ;=(

-Simon

Simon Rosenthal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Web Systems Architect
Northern Light Technology
One Athenaeum Street. Suite 1700, Cambridge, MA  02142
Phone:  (617)621-5296  :       URL:  http://www.northernlight.com
"Northern Light - Just what you've been searching for"