Randal covered off-site link tracking in his web techniques column:

      http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1998/05/perl/

      AFAIK - there is no way to know for sure that a new browser window has
      been opened. You could try checking the referrer field, which is typically
      blank when a new window is opened, but as other threads on this list have
      commented, depending on the referrer field for anything is unreliable
      because browser handling of referrers is inconsistent and some proxies
      destroy it altogether.

      HTH,

      Simon Wilcox.

               From           "Smith, Stephen (ELS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
               Date   20 February 2001Hi everyone,

I have to  make the tracking of users who follow links to  external sites
possible, preferably indicating in specific logfiles when a new browser is
opened for linking to  external sites.

We have tried proxy solutions, modifying Apache core modules and are
considering scanning and parsing our Html on the fly.

I understand that uri.c could be modified or changes could be made to the
.htaccess file.

The problem is it has to be fast and transparant, does anyone have any
ideas???

Thanks in advance

Steve Smith

   This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
   and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent
   written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly, our company disclaim all
   responsibility and accept no liability (including in negligence) for the
   consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such
   information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written
   confirmation.

   If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify us
   immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete the message from
   your computer.

   distribution and/or publication of this E-mail message is strictly
   prohibited.