On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 03:01:25PM -0700, Alan E. Derhaag wrote:
> Paul Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > You installed 5.6.1, read the docs, used "our" and found it didn't work
> > on 5.00503, right?
> >
> > That's because it's new with 5.6.  From where did you get the idea that
> > it is deprecated?  Quite the opposite is the case.
>
> Could have fooled me!  I thought it was a term I'd never learned..
> especially since the perl 5.00503 execution indicated that it was
> deprecated with:
>
> Use of reserved word "our" is deprecated at /tmp/initcatsrch.pl line
> 26.

At he risk of prolonging a discussion which doesn't belong here, let me
try to draw it to a close.  Quoting perldiag from 5.00503:

  =item Use of reserved word "%s" is deprecated

  (D) The indicated bareword is a reserved word.  Future versions of perl
  may use it as a keyword, so you're better off either explicitly quoting
  the word in a manner appropriate for its context of use, or using a
  different name altogether.  The warning can be suppressed for subroutine
  names by either adding a C<&> prefix, or using a package qualifier,
  e.g. C<&our()>, or C<Foo::our()>.

I agree that in this situation the message which was intended to be
helpful fell somewhat short of its mark.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net