I can't help you, but I have been having the same problem.
( I had thought it was because we're running old code -
  Stronghold with mod_perl 1.24.  I'm really hoping it
  goes away when we upgrade to 1.3.19 w 1.25, or at least
  I can have a better chance debugging it. )

My solution for the hung readers problem is to write
another daemon that looks for them and kills them off.
In order to do this, the daemon uses the /server-status
URL to ask the web servers what processes are in the
read state.

If you want, I can post the code.

-P