On Thu, 3 May 2001, Kevin Slean wrote:

> Mod_perlers,
>
> I have a problem with Apache and was looking for your thoughts on my problem
> or some additional mailing lists more focused on just Apache.
>
> I have 70 httpd daemons running and some of them just appear to hang.  As
> time goes by, the number of hung processes increases such that there are no
> working ones left to perform real work.  Consequently transaction processing
> performance drops eventually to zero.
>
> Our web transactions running through these httpd daemons should not take
> more than 60 seconds in a worst case scenario.  Yet, some of these 'hung'
> processes have been on the same transaction for over 30 hours.  I
> originally thought that this was a mod_perl problem and was buried in the
> CGI/Perl routines performing the transactions.  However, upon closer
> inspection, I have found that these hanging processes are also running JAVA
> servlets and gif gets.  This makes me suspect that it is an Apache problem.
>
> I ran truss on the hung processes and found that they fell into two camps.
> The first group was sitting at a read system call.  The second group was in
> a loop with sigalarm going off every 10 seconds.
>
> We are running the following:
>
>    Hardware: Sun Ultra-250
>          OS: Solaris 5.7 patch level 106541-12
>      Apache: Apache/1.3.11 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 mod_perl/1.24
>              secured_by_Raven/1.4.2
>
> Any ideas, thoughts, and comments are welcome.  Thanks.

Since you already truss()ed the processes and know that it's not a
mod_perl problem, you probably want to take the question to the httpd
mailing list. Meanwhile you can use Apache::Watchdog::RunAway to monitor
and kill the processes that hang.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/