On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:03:04AM -0700, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Now, I'm assuming that Apache has full access to these incoming packets.
> Therefore, they must also have access to this invisible identifier. Is it
> possible to extract that identifier somehow by tinkering with Apache?

Most NAT implemetations keep a hash of destination ports -> internal IP.

To wit:

> 1) Person behind the firewall sends out a request to a web server.

Person _really_ establishes an outgoing TCP session with his NAT
box.  The NAT box notes his internal_IP:dest_port, sets up an
outgoing TCP session to web server, notes it's own source port for
that leg.

> 4) The firewall receives the packets of data first, but now must send those
> data packets to someone inside the firewall.

Returning packets from the webserver come to that source port, NAT
box looks up hash of:  external_IP:source_port -> internal_IP:dest_port,
and hands the packet in.

> 5) The packets of data MUST have some unique identifier to let the firewall

That would be the source port of the NAT box's outgoing connection.

But:

- each outgoing TCP connection from the internal host will use a
  different source port.

- the request your web server is receiving may actaully (likely)
  be coming from a web cache somewhere.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842