Hi all,

Just thought I would add my two cents...I run an online gaming site
and the end users often decide to mess with our systems.  We service
a pretty juvenile crowd in some regards.  So there definately is a
need for better protection from floods.

I've had one user in particular who has been attacking our site
regularly for the past year and a half.  He'll setup a couple
machines with scripts to call forum posting scripts with random
information passed into them.  He'll call a generic CGI script
ten times a second because he can tell it slows down the server.
He'll bombard the servers with huge UDP packets.  He bulks E-mails
viruses and zombies to our users....It's insane.

In short, this is a big issue for sites that get a decent amount of
traffic.  Better flood protection is always a good thing.

We've got a great Cisco firewall that stops a lot of these kinds
of things, but this fellow discovered open proxies and has been
a pain ever since.  He has a script that bombards us using a
different proxy every five seconds.  (There are lists out there
updated in real-time with hundreds of open proxies thanks to
the "privacy advocates" on the Net.)

By the way, the guy is in Spain so the government can't/won't do
anything.  WE've blocked have the providers in Spain as a result
of him getting a new IP when he has been stupid enough to use
a real IP.

So I would suggest that rate limiting based on IP address is a
start, but it isn't the end all.  You've got to have a big bag
of tricks.  Don't just look for one solution.

Jeremy